Merry Christmas Syracuse Quilt Guild


The Syracuse Quilt Guild got together to celebrate the Christmas Season at the Hug Hess Restaurant in Syracuse on Tuesday December 13.  Everyone had a wonderful time with yummy food, lots of conversation, a fun gift exchange and some beautiful Sew and Tell.
Yvonne and Belinda check out their gifts

Sandra, incoming President having a little fun

Kim and Margo 

Sandra and Jeanette

How cute is that Barbara?


Suzanne

Deep in conversation Kim, Sandra, Pam and Margo


So many choices, what shall we eat?

Nancy and Jeanette


Judy and Karen


Lots of presents waiting to be chosen

Time for Sew and Tell


Jeanette made this adorable stocking

Suzanne's beautiful red and white quilt for the Ruby Jubilee
and a gift for her husband for their 35th wedding
anniversary.  Just gorgeous!

beautiful blocks on the backside as well

Very pretty Judy, not a beginner anymore

So busy Margo, another beautiful log cabin
Lovely Christmas Log Cabin Margo



A Quilt Story


A quilt with a story presented to Nancy by the guild to honor
her service in the military.  So beautiful.
In Nancy's own words:  this quilt deserves to have its story told. If you have never heard of Quilts of Valor (QOV), it is a foundation to provide quilts to service members. Per their website, "Quilt of Valor had to be a quality-made quilt, not a 'charity quilt.' Quilts of Valor would be the civilian equivalent of a Purple Heart award. A Quilt of Valor had to be quilted, not tied, which meant hand or machine quilting. Quilts of Valor would be 'awarded,' not just passed out like magazines or videos. A Quilt of Valor would say unequivocally, 'Thank you for your service, sacrifice, and valor” in serving our nation.' " Anyways, this quilt had a mission ... to find me. I believe this after the journey it has been on. You see the foundation of QOV prefers quilts in red, white and blue and usable ... like a lap quilt, or on a twin bed. As you can see, this quilt is not red, white and blue. Every year in Utah, we have a HUGE quilt show, the HMQS (Home Machine Quilting Show). The Utah QOV ladies here in this state, have always set up a bin where quilts can be donated for free admission to the show. This quilt you are looking at was donated!!! Can you believe it? Donated. If you are a quilter, you will look at this quilt and say ... "DONATED?!" Well once the Utah QOV ladies went through the bin, sorting out the donated quilts ... they decided to give it a member of our quilt group (she was part of the Utah QOV organization) because there was no label on the quilt to find the original quilter. Which brings me to my quilt group. We all looked at this amazing quilt and say, "Let donate it then, to an organization we know that raises funds during the holiday season." Well ... that organization said they were terribly sorry but would not accept it due to the fact they did not know who originally made it and get their consent to use it to raise funds. The organization said, "What if that quilter sees it here and it was suppose to go to QOV? We would not want to offend the quilter." Now that brings me to today. My quilt group had our Christmas luncheon. The quilt was presented to me!!! To me. I have seen some AMAZING QOV, but I had mentioned to one of my quilt group members a bit ago that red, white and blue doesn't really do much for me though. So this BEAUTIFUL quilt has found its home with me. So to the quilter who made this, I say it has fulfilled it purpose. It has been presented to a retired service member, me. It is in GOOD hands. I was SO hoping it would fit on my quilt hanger on my kitchen wall, but it knew exactly where it wanted to be all along ... on my sewing room wall. It fits perfect on my quilt hanger on that wall. Thank you very much ... to the TALENTED quilter who made this. Thank you very much to my quilt group for presenting it to me. It will be treasured for a very long time!!!



 What a wonderful way to end the year. We want to thank our outgoing President, Jeanette for the wonderful job she has done over the last two years.  We look forward to Pam serving in that job and I will be turning over the blog and secretary/treasurer position to Kim and I know she will do a great job.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and may you have sew many adventures.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syracuse Utah Quilt Guild November 14, 2023